5.3.13

Production Diary interlude...

So "Chapter Three" might be done in time for a Friday release.  Huzah for that!  But I've come to realize that...there are a lot of female characters in this story.  I think we're at a close 1:1 ratio, which is a bit odd for a story that has, for the most part, involved hitting other people with swords and other violent acts.  I'm not complaining - I'm just not sure if I write convincing female characters (well, among the other doubts I'll always have about my skills).  And since the character development is very lite and dialog based until after the "Atrocity match", i'm not sure if its coming out right.

"Chapter Three" introduces a lot of the main cast for the first bit - and sets up certain parts that will come into play later.  I'm generally very happy with the work I've gotten done, but i know it's all going to seem very action heavy in the beginning.  as one character will put it later on, "I'm not terribly comfortable with the quiet parts," because i want the scene to look just so - like Kubrick's camera work in "Barry Lyndon", or something alternating between the shadows of baroque paintings and the harsh fluorescent of a hospital.  I think if you set the scene like that, then you don't have to put the internal monolog or (God help me) have them give a soliloquy.  If you get the lighting right, then there's more text in crumpling a piece of paper than there is in the dictionary.

The flip side of this is going overboard, so that it's just a description of a fucking room, and any action taken by someone within is no longer organic, no matter how it's handled.

So we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment